Monday, November 2, 2015

Inquiry-based Teaching

I think inquiry is a great way to help students reach a new level of thinking by having them use the scientific (or similar) method to solve a problem and/or find the answers to their question(s).

Several Inquiry Topics that I have thought of that I can use in my student teaching:

1.) Which cows should be culled from the herd to maximize profitability?
2.) How does "X" factor affect plant/animal growth?
3.) What determines a horse's coat color, and can you predict the color(s) or their offspring?
            Neat resource: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/cool-colour-chart-94890/

By allowing students to find the answers to their questions (with a little guidance to maintain some structure) they are developing the skills to be self-guided, life-long learners which will help them as they prepare for future careers, and also as they encounter "real-world" problems and situations throughout life... #importantlifeskills 

I also love the scientific applications of Inquiry-based learning! Anytime I can incorporate science, math, or English into my lessons to show students how important those concepts are from their "boring" general education classes it gets me excited because it has the potential to "turn students on" outside of my classroom. Every time I hear a student say that they "hate math" (or some other subject), I always want to know... "Are they being given real-life applications", and is there a way that I can change their attitude about about a particular subject so that they see its importance and start applying themselves?... and can I teach them to make those important applications for themselves even if their teachers don't? I want to prepare my students to become employed and successful citizens in a real world!

No comments:

Post a Comment