Thursday, February 25, 2016

1st SAE Visit - Entrepreneurship

My first on-farm SAE visit! The student that Mr. Hughes and I visited is in 2 of my Ag classes, and gets bused everyday from a school where they no longer have an Ag program. For her SAE projects she raises beef cattle on her family's beef farm with approx. 70 head of cattle.

Prior to the visit we set up a date and time that would work with the student's parents. As we arrived at the farm, it was obvious that their animals are well cared for and healthy. To evaluate the student's involvement and overall understanding of the project (since it is a family farm), Mr. Hughes asked her questions about how often she feeds the bottle calves milk, how much she feeds them, what type of feed, animal health questions, etc. She is also planning to show her bottle calves this summer.

She records the information regarding her SAE projects in the AET which makes evaluating her record books convenient because Mr. Hughes can pull them up and evaluate her records wherever he has internet service. These types of SAE projects are not associated with a grade due to a variety of reasons; however, he does encourage them to take their projects seriously, so that they can apply for awards and degrees within the FFA. Students taking the SAEP class do have their projects evaluated and graded; however this student's SAEP class is not associated with her bottle calves she is raising at home.

Through this experience and visit I was invited to come back if I wanted to get some experience vaccinating and palpating/pregnancy checking cows. Several weeks later, after they finished their corral and chute set-up, I spent approximately 6 1/2 hrs. helping them move cattle, vaccinate calves, and pregnancy check a few cows. It was a great experience and I enjoyed every minute of it! My student would draw up one vaccine while I drew up the other... we worked as a team to get the job done! I also go to teach her about mixing and using modified live vaccines which was exciting for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment