Saturday, March 26, 2016

New beginnings, new experiences, and new connections...

This short week has certainly been packed with excitement!

Tuesday brought 2 new baby goats to the school... When several of my students (and some of their friends that aren't even in my Ag classes) found out that baby goats were being born, I got to teach those students about gestation, parturition, colostrum, etc. The students were so excited! It was an excellent learning opportunity for those students because not only did they get to see 2 successful births, but also an unsuccessful one as well. The unsuccessful birth gave opportunity to discuss why labor was so long for the second kid, which was born in the breach position and dead. After all of the excitement of the births, we discussed the importance of colostrum, antibodies, and kid immunity while we worked with the kids to get them to nurse.

Wednesday we started chicken eggs in our incubators in my Intro. to Ag class, and then the students got to see the new goat kids... they were so excited! Wednesday after all of the grades were entered, and I was setting at the desk looking up teaching resources, I got a knock on my door. There stood the principal and assistant principal, another teacher, and a young student... I thought... this is interesting... Their request... we heard about the baby goats that were born today, but the barn/greenhouse door is locked... could you let us in? Oh yeah!
New connections... Friday evening I stopped at the school to check on the animals and got to meet 2 of my students' parents, and got to see 2 more new goat kids... The mom informed me that her daughter told her that she finally had found a favorite teacher, but I guess that will be ending shortly...

What have I learned through these experiences? Utilize hands-on learning opportunities whenever possible! Those students that were able to see those kids born will have an awesome memory that will go with them throughout the rest of their lives, and maybe someday a few of them will be able to utilize what they observed and learned from this unique experience.

In thinking of new beginnings and new experiences I think it is most important to reflect on the reason for the short week - Easter - a time to remember and reflect on the new birth that can take place in our lives if we repent of our sins and allow God to transform us into new creatures after His likeness.

1 comment: